01 November 2010

Renzoku Rundown (Fall 2010)

Face-Maker





It's ironic that I initially judged this show based only on its title that coincidentally has the word "face" in it. But good thing there's a discussion thread on DA and a particular comment got me interested in checking out episode one. It was good. With the episodic nature working very well with the theme, I foresee subsequent episodes being equally well-paced while allowing exploration on the subject. And it's just plain interesting to see how the main characters adapt to their new physical appearances too.


Freeter, Ie wo Kau

One of the better dramas this season, made mostly possible by the cast. The theme is nothing special, but I got mislead by the title and expected some comedy. Not much complaints other than a cosmetic one on Karina (in both literal senses), of how her appearances and characterisation goes against the intended realism of this show.                                               

Guilty
Akuma to Keiyakushita Onna
Had high expectations for this one, but I've been disappointed so far. The biggest problem for me lies in the script. I can't quite articulate the details but it just feels messy. There are also a couple of unnecessary things going on and I can't get a sense of direction to what the story is trying to illustrate. Like how Mashima's colleagues could've been taken out of the story without affecting how he became guilt-ridden. Even Nogami's good side is portrayed a little too chirpy. Basically, it's supposed to be a story about revenge, but after two episodes, I don't feel much of an air of vengeance so far.

Iryu 3
The Iryu series has nothing to do with comedy but I found myself laughing throughout the 1st episode. Even though they recycled most of the stuff which made the first two installments enjoyable for me, I realize I couldn't take them seriously anymore. I guess that stuff they've been milking probably expired past its shelf life and had turned into cheese, lol. Though there's a part of me that wants to relive the "glory" and enjoy the 3rd series fwiw, I'm lacking the motivation to watch episode 2.

Himitsu

The movie version of this series still sits in my hdd unwatched because I could already guess how the story would be explored; the "fun" side of the mother in the eyes of her daughter, and the taboo side of the father living with his wife in the body of their daughter. I gave episode 1 a try anyway and found it watchable to an extent. Mainly, Shida being able to act out an older woman, with the delivery and choice of words being the most convincing part. At this point I'm contemplating if I should watch episode 2 or the movie next.

 
Keiji Onijima Heihachiro
What started out as a recommendation to watch this for Hamada  Masatoshi and Beat Takeshi, later became a slight disappointment of the overarching plot being the only exciting revelation of this show. The cast did okay as far as the acting is concerned but I wondered if it was a good move to disallow Hamada's comedic RL self be reflected in his character cos the drama looked like it could use some of it.

Kurohyo
Ryu ga Gotoku Shinsho
I can't say much about this one other than being a rehash of a Dolph Lundgren/Jean-Claude Van Damme movie. The original video game franchise that the show's adapted from is probably more worthy of a mention, because the latest installment had quite a number of mainstream actors used as the game character's voice actors. Such as Kitaoji Kinya, Endo Kenichi, Sawamura Ikki and Narimiya Hiroki just to name a few.





Marks no Yama



This one is among the top of my watchlist for this season. Simply because it's written by the person who wrote Sora Tobu Taiya which I adored so much. I watched episode one and I'm glad it lived up to expectation as well as the hype from various places. The story can get a little "busy" at times but I thought it all came out pretty well. Maybe it should be recommended that the synopsis be read prior to viewing. In addition, the music arrangement is great and gives this drama a movie-like quality.


Nagareboshi


Be it a good thing or not, this drama sure feels like it belongs to its time slot. Episode one was just alright, but it's at least better than the last 4 Getsu9s that I've seen. 3 things that I felt were a little sloppy; the circumstances that led to the fiancée leaving Hyodo... I mean er... Kengo, the doctor speaking too softly, and Kengo's questionable lines right at the end. Other than that, looking forward to episode 2.

Ogon no Buta
Hmm... I have nothing but bad things to say about this one. It has everything I hate in a drama (being characteristically similar to BOSS). And after watching Marusa no Onna and Chase, I feel a little irritated at how lame the execution of everything was. The only thing I probably enjoyed was watching Yabe Kenzo in a more serious role.

Perfect Report


The impression left behind by Matsuyuki in the drama, Mother, made me wanna check this one out. Good thing she managed to deliver, but sadly, she was the only thing that delivered. I personally didn't mind the recycled theme, but it was just predictable and unexciting for the first two episodes.


Q - To
Kinda shameless that they decided to name the show's title and incidentally, the name of the robot in question aka Maeda Atsuko, as Kyuto, aka the romanised word for "cute". If this show is about her attempt to retake her throne, then she must be trying very hard, from what I can tell. Getting back to topic, this Chobits meets classroom drama is probably made for Maeda's fans, so its "qualities" are a bit out of my league.


Ryonokusha
Odagiri Kyoko no Uso
A mindlessly fun drama that probably requires the viewer to be a fan of someone from the main cast to enjoy beyond its entertainment value. Though I'm not one of them, I may watch it for Oshima Yuko, heh.







Second Virgin

A friend's rating prompted me to give this drama a try, and I'm so glad I did. Not only did it flew under my radar but it has turned out to be one of the best this season. At this point, I can only sing praises about it, and even close an eye on why Fukada Kyoko was decided to be one of the supporting cast. I can't underemphasize the quick and steady pace, how I keep getting impressed at the wittiness/intelligence of the script, and in that same light, the amount of attention it pays to detail. My only gripe is the fear of being disappointed after seeing the awesomeness that has played out so far, lol. In the midst of watching episode 3, I suddenly find myself wondering what the next one will have installed!


Keizoku 2: SPEC
Three things I love about this drama.
1) The storyline.
2) How it doesn't rely on its predecessor's plot format (which I felt was the best thing about it).
3) How tight-lipped the story has been in not revealing anything about the gigantic overarching plot and all its juicy details waiting to explode in everyone's faces.

Actually, there are many other things not mentioned above that I could write an essay about all of them.  : P



Yamikin Ushijima kun
All I can say about this one is the drama not doing justice to Yamada Takayuki's return to the renzoku drama scene after a 3 year hiatus.






Think this is the first time I bothered to check out so many dramas in one season. Gawd bless the smart phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment