04 September 2010

Post KDO discussions that I didn't know existed


Kekkon Dekinai Otoko was one of the doramas that got me started into watching them on a regular basis after a somewhat long hiatus. Though I enjoyed this one a lot, I'd never expect the drama to be brought to a different level when I stumbled upon its respective discussions recently. Some were surprisingly deep but at the same time, an enjoyable read.

Just as much I wanted to necro-post and reply some of the more interesting issues and questions, I figured I'd do it here while giving it a mention as my obligatory first post. I'll start by randomly reposting the issues/questions that I hadn't consciously realise back then.

"What makes the characters so real and likable to me is that they are presented warts and all in a non-judgmental fashion."
This is something I don't see very often these days. Giving flaws as part of the characterisation which are not only believable but matches the individual character too.


"One of the things I love about this drama 
- it does more showing than telling."

This was in episode five and it already hinted that he had an attraction for Hayasaka-sensei. Love it that by simply not showing him pay any initial attention to the other dishes, the hint was created. And subtle I must add, 'cos I admit missing it the first time round. It was also mentioned a couple of times that many scenes were played out with minimal to no dialogues, with others saying how the characters were well-developed to the extent that they're able to "tell the story themselves". Think this is one of the biggest qualities about the drama that makes it so awesome.





 "The only thing (sorta) that bothers me is how some things start from nowhere at all."
The examples that followed this statement were basically the things that happened around Kuwano, and it was pointed out how it could seem as if he illogically patronised those places for the first time. Someone then replied to this saying that it required a suspension of disbelief. IMO, if the writer had written it otherwise, then we wouldn't have gotten to see how his character evolved (though very minor) through those settings. Which makes me wonder if it's even possible for both  to be accomplished at the same time? (On a personal note, it seems when things go too well, people will start nitpicking on the minor things, as I personally do.)


"It's almost allegorical, the anal probe/arthroscopy
she performed on him in episode 1."


Haha, how true it is. It's like the ribbon-cutting ceremony to break down the barrier of an anal person via his anus! But seriously, the above scene should go down in dorama history as one of the most hilariously provocative scenes ever.






"Did anyone notice in the episode where Ken-chan got lost and Kuwano went into the river/lake or whatever it was and he found a little plush dog doll. Then in the next episode it's on Michiru's table, you see a glimpse of it. Pretty cool easter egg."
This scene is supposedly in episode 8, and I need to rewatch it cos I love it when they do things like this.

"She had to look over all his faults just to like him, but if she had 100 great guys to choose from, she wouldn't have to bother with all his faults. This kindas cheapens the drama...but still great."
I would rather say that since she didn't have the luxury to explore her universe to find the right man, she looks into the man to explore his universe. She was cleverly "fishing" for hidden qualities about Kuwano, and in the midst of this process, she managed to get him to "open up" to her.

"Let's compare how the women viewed Kuwano. Sawasaki admired his talent as an architect and has worked with him for eight years, so she understands him better than anybody. Michiru saw in him a stable provider and protector, who also got along with her dog. Hayasaka had to look up his anus the first time they met, and during all their subsequent encounters he behaved like a complete jerk. Among the three she had the least use for him. So why did she fall for him?"
Again, someone answered this the best, saying that "the Hayasaka-Kuwano combination was just waiting to happen", then adds that "as she got to know him, she saw beyond that facade he kept up to the rest of the world, and with the subtle changes in Kuwano, realised that he was actually a nice guy beneath."

To add to this point, Kuwano's faux pas behavior was really just his inability to reach out to others in a more socially correct manner, than him being purposefully hurtful. I'm guessing Hayasaka saw through that during their earlier encounters, so she decided that it would better to dig up more of his true self than to label him off as a jerk.

On a side note, Hayasaka had a similar trait, in which she also couldn't be honest with herself. Examples of this would be the social experiment that Sawasaki pointed out, as well as her various interactions with the nurses. So could she also have (subconsciously) liked him based on the similarity?


"Why is Kaneda in this drama?"



I'll shamelessly use someone else's quote and say that "Kaneda is there to provide a comic contrast to Kuwano. Kaneda is the gregarious and flashy phony, while Kuwano is the dour but genuine article. In the beginning the contrast appeared to flatter Kaneda, but in the end it's Kaneda that ends up eating alone at the restaurant while Kuwano finds his life partner."




I think it's amazing that the writer featured this to add depth to the story and he succeeds at a very subtle level. Something that was mentioned very briefly but not elaborated was why Kuwano was always excited to see Kaneda's blog being updated. And on that same note, how Kuwano got progressively better at spotting his car on the streets, both shedding some light that Kuwano wanted to be like Kaneda himself.


Someone very briefly mentioned about Kuwano using the kitchen as the default focus in his housing designs. The area and the meaning behind the choice contradicts everything he portrays about himself. But it somehow hints his values and what he looks out for in others. This is yet another Kuwano detail and a well thought-out one too. 

Another peculiar thing that I always notice about Kuwano when he's at the konbini, is how he picks up the 4 macha packets in a single grip. Though insignificant and I can't make a specific connection to it (Zen-like, maybe?), but it's nonetheless consistent with his character, adding even more depth to it. Love it how the writer goes into little details such as this.

Again, the best thing that can happen to an awesome drama is to have an equally awesome discussion about it. Pity other great dramas, like the recent-aired Mother, didn't receive the same treatment. Maybe I'll write about that sometime in the future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i need to rewatch KDO again!

Post a Comment